Monday, April 23, 2007

Home from NYC

Home now from NYC after a wonderful trip visiting my grandson Clyde. What an amazing little fellow he is plus he is so fortunate to have the great Mom and Pop that he has.
Sunday friend Neal and I went up to my sisters where Redwing is parked for the time being and spent 3 hours working on her. We pumped a good 200 gal of water out of her, exposing more of her innards. So far I have yet to see anything to alarming or unexpected. I am not naive though. I am sure she will reveal some interesting and challenging secrets as I go along. I was able to determine that the engine is definitely a 292ci Chevrolet 6cyl. The 292 blocks measure exactly 11" from the bottom of the block to the top whereas the 250 measures about 10.5 in. The 292's were built expressly for truck applications hence the taller block which allowed a longer stroke. They develop somthing in the neighborhood of 215 hp which will be quite nice in Redwing giving a good balance between power and economy. I would have been a little concerned if it had been a 250ci engine. It would have had to run a good bit harder to move a larger boat such as Redwing which would certainly shorten it's life due to the increased duty cycle (wider throttle openings).
The next step now is to get my working area in the backyard configured so that I can bring Redwing home and really get going.

No comments: